Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Morning Jacket, "Movin' Away"


Jim James' voice always gives me shivers. The atmospheric drifting of guitar only adds to this sensation on "Movin' Away," the closing track from their recent album Circuital. For most of the song, the piano chords are struck in regimented fashion, paralleled by soothing percussion, but towards the finish these notes spiral away into some sleepy melody. All this is fitting, as James dreamily coos about moving forward and yet wistfully holds on to his past. Two beautiful verses, punctuated by James' chilling vocals, define these sentiments: "Don't know quite why/But I was feeling unsatisfied/I had to get out now/Try to find it," and "Possessed by your love/Under the influence/And though there's a new lifeline/I won't forget the one I left behind."




No comments:

Post a Comment